Re: Mike's Bread Additives and a minor problem

Farnes_Quinn <Farnes_Quinn@Allergan.com>
Thu, 14 Aug 2003 07:26:24 -0700
v103.n035.12
Mike,

You might want to try the following.  It's originally from Electric Bread
by Suzan Nightingale, Innovative Cooking Enterprises (ICE Press) page
30.  Here's the recipe as printed in the book:

100% Whole Wheat Bread

Ingredient		Quantity
Water			1.5 Cups + 2 Tbsp.
Whole Wheat Flour	3.5 Cups
Dry Millk		2 Tbsp
Salt			1.5 Tsp
Butter 		2 Tbsp
Honey 		        2 Tbsp
Gluten 		1.5 Tbsp
Molasses 		1 Tbsp.
Yeast			3 Tsp

Here's the way I make it:

Water			1.5 Cups
Whole Wheat Flour	3.5 Cups  (470 grams)
Dry Millk		2 Tbsp
Salt			1.5 Tsp
Olive Oil		2 Tbsp
Brown sugar		2 Tbsp
Gluten 		1.5 Tbsp
Molasses 		1 Tbsp.
Yeast			3 Tsp (1 Tbsp)

This latter recipe works every time.  If I use honey, or molasses instead
of honey, I get a short loaf with the consistency of last year's
fruitcake.  Simply substituting an equal amount of brown sugar made all the
difference.  While the jury is still deliberating about the necessity of
kneading, I'll add that I follow the book's recommendation to reset the
machine after the first knead to give the yeast a little more time to
generate gas.  With this recipe, it makes a big difference.

Hope this helps.

q.