Campfire bread baking?

"David" <archlane@nwtec.com>
Sun, 31 Aug 2003 12:24:07 -0700
v103.n038.7
I would like to make fresh bread over a fire or coals on a backpacking
trip.  The idea is to carry flour, salt, baking powder and maybe raisons
and mix it w/ mtn water and then find a suitable stick to wrap it
around.  Simple enough but the implementation is tricky.  At home using a
barbque, I used wire coat hangers but the dough (w/ raisons) was too
heavy.  Then I used a section of pvc pipe but that began to melt.  But by
having a water can nearby I doused the pipe and dough whenever it became
too hot.  After a long while, the outside was crusty (and I ate it) but the
inside was still dough.  I am learning slowly that thickness and amount are
factors not to mention the kind of stick or maybe 2 sticks.  I would like
to hear from someone w/ experience on the trail who wouldn't mind helping a
neophyte w/ the details.  Also, I tried taking a bit of my sourdough,
adding flour and making a ball and puting that in a plastic sandwich
bag.  The next morning the sourdough had eaten through the ball and stuck
to the bag.  Then I put flour in the bag w/ another ball and the next
morning it was okay.  But I left it for 2 days and it became very clumpy
and wouldn't resond to heat.  I'm thinking now that a sourdough ball will
only last one day in a pack.

Tks, Dave