Unsalted butter

"Paul and Ruth Provance" <prmtprovance@erols.com>
Sun, 28 Dec 2003 00:59:28 -0500
v104.n001.21
Dear Bakers,

The last digest certainly covered the salted vs. unsalted butter
question.  I thought I would add my personal experience.  I usually use
unsalted butter in everything, generally either Land-o-Lakes or Lucerne,
from Safeway.  Once, when I was visiting my Dad and brother, I baked them
some bread, doing about the same thing I do at home, and found that it was
quite a bit saltier than I was used to, though still edible.  My brother
(the professional cook) pointed out that they had salted butter.

Duh.  Since then, I pay much closer attention to the butter I am using. If
I have salted butter, I use less salt in the dough.  I may actually taste
the dough to see if the salt level is correct.  When using the unsalted
butter, I don't worry about this.

Just my two cents worth.

Ruth