Dakota Bread:

Gloria J Martin <ggmartin2@juno.com>
Mon, 14 Nov 2005 12:29:24 -0600
v105.n047.11
This is from The Pleasures of Cooking magazine, May/June issue 1986.
The magazine is no longer published. It is supposed to be the
original. I quote from the introduction:

"We grind our own wheat every day," says Peter Quinn, co-owner with
his wife Linda of Cafe Late---a combined bakery/cafe in St. Paul, Mn.
"We like to develop our own recipes," adds Linda. "We wanted a bread
with a lot of healthful, crunchy seeds, and one of our bakers,
Kristen Gilbertson, came up with this fine loaf. Kristen is from S.
Dakota, hence the name."

Since the magazine was a publication of the Cuisinart Company, the recipe
has been written to be made in the Cuisinart Food Processor. The readers
can adapt it to a mixer if they wish. If using a food processor, be
certain that yours is capable of kneading bread doughs. (Check
instruction book.) Gloria Martin ggmartin2@juno.com

DAKOTA BREAD
1 pkg. Yeast
1/4 cup honey
1/3 cup warm water (110-115F)
2 3/4 cups bread flour
1 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup cracked wheat
2 teaspoons salt
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 cup cold water
1 cup raw sunflower seeds
1/2 cup + 2 Tablespoons raw pumpkin seeds
2 Tablespoons sesame seeds
2 Tablespoons poppy seeds

Stir the yeast and honey into the warm water in a 2 cup liquid
measure. Process the flours, cracked wheat and salt with the metal
blade of a food processor until blended, about 5 seconds. Stir the
oil and cold water into the yeast mixture and, with the motor
running, pour the liquid through the feed tube in a steady stream as
fast as the flour mixture absorbs it. After the dough cleans the side
of the work bowl, process 45 seconds more to knead it. (If the dough
is too sticky, add flour by the tablespoon; if too dry add water by
the teaspoon.

Transfer the dough to a 1-gallon plastic food storage bag. Squeeze
out the air and seal the top with a wire twist. Set aside in a warm
place until the dough has doubled in bulk.

Remove the wire twist and punch down the dough in the bag. Combine
all the seeds except 2 Tablespoons of the pumpkin seeds.

Knead the seeds into the dough on a lightly floured surface. Divide
the dough in half and shape each half into a round loaf.

Place the loaves on a lightly oiled baking sheet, cover with plastic
wrap, sprayed with non-stick pan spray on bottom. Let rise until
doubled, about 1 hour.

Preheat the oven to 375F.

Process the remaining 2 Tablespoons pumpkin seeds with the metal
blade until coarsely chopped, about 10 pulses. Sprinkle the chopped
seeds over the loaves and bake them in the center of the preheated
oven until lightly browned, about 35 minutes.

Makes 2 loaves, about 1 1/4 pound each.