Taking bread dough on an airplane

Roxanne Rieske <rokzane@comcast.net>
Fri, 09 Jun 2006 00:45:47 -0600
v106.n023.21
So this may be an odd question...

Does anyone have any experience with taking raw bread dough on an
airplane? I'll be flying into Indianapolis from Denver on June 27
(going to see family) and I want to bring a batch of cinn. bun dough
for next days breakfast. I want to make the dough before I leave
because Mom doesn't own a stand mixer, and it's really tough on my
wrists to knead by hand.

So, do airlines frown on dough carrying passengers? I'll be flying
American Airlines and want to know if there is a threat of having my
dough confiscated. I figure I'll cut back on the yeast a bit and keep
the dough chilled until I leave for the airport. The combination of
air conditioning in the airports and on the plane should keep it from
rising too fast, and the recipe I use usually takes all day to rise anyway.

Any advice would be appreciated :)

Roxanne

[[ Editor's note: I think air pressure will be a big problem.  If my
calculations are correct, the typical air pressure in Denver is about
20% lower than sea level.  FAA rules require cabin pressure to be no
less than pressure at 8000 feet, which is about 40% below sea level
pressure.  So the bubbles in the dough will expand by 20% and then be
compressed by 40%.  I don't think it will be very happy.  Can you
freeze the dough and pack it in dry ice? - Jeff ]]