Reggie's question: Low Salt, Low Fat Whole Wheat and Rye

Stephen Blumm <sblumm1@gmail.com>
Mon, 12 Sep 2016 22:25:13 -0400
v116.n034.6
In his most recent post Reggie asked what people have been doing in
relation to bread making.

I've been trying to learn more about baking whole wheat and rye
breads from Peter Reinhardt's book on whole wheat baking, along with
a few other sources.

For health reasons I have had to seriously cut back on salt and fats,
and I've turned from white flour to whole wheat and rye.

All of this is relatively new to me, and if anyone can provide any
hints about whole wheat baking using significantly lower amounts of
salt and fats I would be very appreciative.

I had in the past made different types of rye bread, but I followed
recipes calling for anywhere from a teaspoon to a tablespoon of salt.

My desire is to cut back to no more than a half teaspoon of salt in a
bread, including the pre-ferment. And if oil is called for, no more
than a tablespoon or so. I've stopped using butter.

So, I would be happy to hear from anyone who has any suggestions.

Best,
Stephen Blumm
Valley Forge, PA