How to Store, Freeze, and Refresh Bread

Sun, 27 Dec 2020 20:49:24 -0800
v121.n001.2
* Exported from MasterCook *

                  Bread, How to Store, Freeze, and Refresh

Recipe By     : Laura
Serving Size  : 0     Preparation Time :0:00
Categories    : Bread                           Bread-Bakers Mailing List
                 Info/How To                     Posted

I'm here today to share all the secrets! Below you'll find extensive
tips on how to store bread, how to freeze bread, and how to refresh
bread so that it tastes just as good as new.

This method will ensure that you keep that crisp, crusty exterior for
as long as possible. For this post, I'm referring to artisanal
boules, batards, baguettes, etc., not your typical sandwich bread
from the grocery store.

It is worth noting that one of the benefits of fresh sourdough bread
(bread made with a sourdough culture) is that it has a longer shelf
life than typical store-bought bread. It can typically last for about
4 to 5 days at room temperature.

Whatever you do, please do not refrigerate your bread. It will cause
your bread to stale significantly faster. Depending on how recently
your bread was baked, you'll want to approach bread storage slightly
differently.

WHY YOU SHOULDN'T SLICE INTO WARM BREAD:
It is very important to allow bread to cool completely to room
temperature before storing or slicing. Place it on a cooling rack and
resist the urge to dig into it. Slicing fresh warm bread out of the
oven, while extremely tempting, affects its texture and flavor (it
will be gummier and less airy; and will result in loaf that dries out
much faster).

As most of you know, I've gotten very into bread baking over the past
six months! I started my very own sourdough starter (Breadley Cooper)
this past July and have been regularly making this sourdough bread
recipe ever since.

It was one of the most fun projects that I tackled in the last year
and I can't wait to share more sourdough bread resources with you
this year. If you're looking to get started, be sure to check out my
extensive list of sourdough bread tools for beginner and experienced
bread bakers.

One of the most frequently asked questions that I get (particularly
over on Instagram) is how I store fresh bread, particularly since I
live in a small household and regularly bake two loaves at once.

I'm here today to share all the secrets! Below you'll find extensive
tips on how to store bread, how to freeze bread, and how to refresh
bread so that it tastes just as good as new.

Bread Face Down on Cutting Board
While there are several ways to store bread, my favorite method is
below. This method will ensure that you keep that crisp, crusty
[...]

Sliced Sourdough Bread on Cutting Board

HOW TO STORE BREAD
Day One - Day Two:
for bread that has just been baked, I always leave it out, completely
uncovered, at room temperature on the first day of baking. The crust
on freshly baked bread will remain at its best texture for at least
one day, if not two full days.

If you slice into your bread: it is best practice to leave it
cut-side down on a cutting board uncovered, particularly if you enjoy
a crisp crust. This will help protect the interior from drying out,
but not result in any moisture collecting on the crust and it
becoming too soft.

If you have not sliced into your bread: if I choose not to slice into
the bread on the day of baking, I generally transfer the whole loaf
to a large paper bag and fold over the edges. While the crust won't
be quite as crisp as the first day of baking, the porousness of the
paper bag will allow air to circulate, yet also help it not dry out
too quickly.

Day Three - Day Four:
While the above method works really well for freshly baked bread,
you'll want to cover it a couple days after it has baked, otherwise
it will dry out quickly and become stale/too hard to slice.

Usually by day three, the best option is to store it bread box (if
you have one) or a large Ziploc bag. It's important to note that this
isn't a perfect solution,  bread (or covering it tightly) in this
manner will inevitably cause the moisture from the loaf to be
trapped, resulting in a softer textured crust. You can get around
this by toasting your bread lightly.

Alternatively, you can also wrap your bread in natural beeswrap
(affiliate link) which is a wonderful and better alternative as it is
naturally porous and won't cause as much moisture to be trapped!

Day Five +:
Why haven't you eaten all your bread? No, but seriously, if you do
not plan on consuming your whole loaf of bread within the first few
days of baking, I generally always advise storing it in the freezer
(see my instructions below).

HOW TO FREEZE BREAD:
One of the best tools in your kitchen for storing bread is the
freezer! If you have limited access to fabulous bread or need to buy
bread many days (to a few weeks) in advance of a dinner party or
special occasion, I highly recommend buying an extra loaf or two,
freezing the loaves, and enjoying them at a later date.

Since I bake two loaves of sourdough bread at a time, I almost always
freeze my second loaf. If I follow a few basic steps, that frozen
loaf out of the freezer can taste just as good as the freshly baked loaf.

For freezing bread, it is very important to allow your bread to cool
completely before freezing. If stored properly, bread can be stored
in the freezer for about 3 to 6 months; however its flavor will
diminish the longer it is stored.

HOW TO FREEZE WHOLE LOAVES OF BREAD:
To freeze entire loaves of bread, allow the bread to cool completely,
then transfer to a large, durable Ziploc bag, press out any excess
air, and seal. If you are all concerned that your bread crust will
puncture the bag, you can wrap the loaf tightly in plastic wrap,
aluminum foil, or place it in a small paper bag, and then transfer it
to a Ziploc bag.

This is my favorite method for short or long term bread storage. My
frozen bread loaves taste just as good when refreshed properly, as my
freshly baked bread loaves do.

HOW TO FREEZE SLICED BREAD:
If you only consume a small amount of bread at a time (or have it
occasionally here and there) or have a small household, one fabulous
way to store bread is to slice it before freezing.

To do this, slice your bread evenly with a serrated bread knife and
transfer it to a large Ziploc bag. If your crumb is extremely moist,
I advise placing a small piece of parchment paper between each slice
to ensure that the slices don't stick together.

This method allows you to take one slice out at a time, toast it
(undefrosted) in your toaster or favorite method of choice, and have
a delicious breakfast or snack whenever you want!

HOW TO REFRESH BREAD PERFECTLY:
This is my favorite method for freezing (and refreshing) whole loaves
of bread. It sounds a bit crazy, but you will be amazed at the
results. This results in a very crisp crust that tastes and feels as
it does just after baking.

I promise, once you try this method, you will never go back! Your
frozen bread will taste like you just baked it. Even if you have a
lackluster loaf of bread from a bakery (the crust has softened
considerably), try this method below, and it will be elevated instantly.

This method works incredibly well for artisanal loaves of bread, as
well as baguettes, etc.

HOW TO REFRESH WHOLE LOAVES OF BREAD:
Allow your frozen loaf of bread to thaw (in the bag) at room
temperature for several hours or overnight on your countertop the night before.

Preheat your oven to 350F (175 C) for at least 20 minutes with a rack
in the center position.

Remove the loaf of bread from the bag and lightly run it, very
quickly, under cold water. You do not want to saturate your loaf of
bread, just lightly saturate/spritz it evenly with cold water on all
sides. This light coating of water steams in the oven and results in
a far crisper, fresher crust than placing a loaf in the oven dry. *Do
not complete this step until your oven is completely preheated and
you're ready to stick it in the oven.

Place the whole loaf of bread directly on the oven rack and bake for
15 to 20 minutes, or until the crust is crisp and cracks slightly
when compressed slightly. This time might vary slightly depending on
the size of your loaf of bread (baguettes might only need about 15
minutes at the most), but I always err on the longer side.

Remove and allow your perfectly crisped, refreshed loaf of bread to
cool completely on a cooling rack - usually at least an hour - before
slicing. Store bread as directed above. I generally find that
refreshed whole loaves of bread will store just as well, perhaps
drying out slightly faster, as freshly baked loaves.

Question: These are great suggestions, especially the reassurance
about wrapping bread in beeswax.
Can you recommend a freezer storage method that does not include
single-use plastic?
Response: There aren't a lot of options aside from a silicone
reusable bag - but not many come in the size that you'd need to store
a whole loaf. I use a Ziplog bag, and just reuse it many times. As
long as it doesn't become punctured or contain meat, it is very easy
to rinse and just dry - and reuse many times. When it does become
unusable, I recycle it with my other soft plastic at a soft plastic
recycling center (cling wrap is not soft plastic, so I try to avoid
using that). For more tips, check out this post:
https://www.abeautifulplate.com/ways-to-reduce-kitchen-waste/

Question: You mention these are specifically not for store bought
sandwich  bread.  But what about homemade sandwich bread?  I don't
make baguettes or sourdough.  Just regular white sandwich bread and
would really rather not use single-use plastic like I have.
Response: Great question. I have a feeling you could definitely use
beeswax paper to store those loaves - but you might want to consider
a bread box? I feel like that might be the best option for you,
especially if you make sandwich bread regularly, especially if you
are mostly looking to reduce single use plastic. Are you mostly just
looking to reduce single use plastic? Sourdough holds up a bit better
than traditional yeast breads, which is why it is a bit hard to tell.

Question: Wow very interesting thanks! Does the running water over a
thawed frozen loaf work if its only half a loaf? Presume so just turn
it cut down and make sure to only run water over the crust not the
inside of the loaf?
Response: I've never tried this method with a cut loaf and don't
really recommend it. The baking time will most likely be way too long
and the loaf could easily dry out without having the crust as insulation.

Question: How long does a refreshed frozen loaf last? Does it need to
be all consumed that day?
Response: No, definitely not! In my experience, a refreshed loaf has
pretty much the same shelf life as a just baked one (perhaps a day
less?). You could also slice any leftovers and freeze them for easy toasting.

Question: I am preparing to bake my first sourdough bread ( growing
my starter now). I want to know, when you bake two loaves, d you bake
one at the time, or both at the same time. I only have 1 Dutch oven
at this time. Will the second loaf overproof while the first is
baking? I'm planning on baking over the weekend as I work full time
during the week and will have no time for long fermentation during the week.

Question: Very helpful article. For freezing, I have been wrapping my
whole or sliced freshly made sourdough bread in foil, then sealed in
a ziplock.  Is the foil necessary?
Response: Foil shouldn't be necessary, I just put my loaves in large
Ziplocs and try to press out any excess air. I haven't stored bread
for incredibly long stretches, but don't see the need for any foil
when using this method. Hope this helps!

Question: Thanks for this great advice Laura. Just one clarification
please: if you keep a freshly baked sourdough loaf out of the freezer
for use in Day 3, can you refresh it the same way as your
instructions for loaf taken out of freezer- ie spritz with water and
put in oven for 20 mins?

Question: Have you ever tried freezing  the unbaked sourdough loaf in
the banneton and then putting  it in a zip lock to bake another day??
Response: No, I personally would always rather refresh a baked loaf,
that is the more common way to do things. You could try this, but it
would be frozen solid in the center - that's my educated guess!
Alternatively you could bake a loaf to be more blonde - don't the the
color as far - then allow it to brown more in a second bake.

Question: I really like your method to refresh a frozen loaf, since
nothing tastes as good as freshly baked bread.  I have a couple of
loaves in the freezer and will try it soon.  One question, will it
make any difference if I heat the frozen loaf in a Dutch oven rather
than just the oven rack?  Maybe, reduce the time in the oven?
Response: No, I don't think so! It could insulate a loaf that was
baked darker (if you were concerned about it gaining more color) but
otherwise seems like it wouldn't make any difference to me. I also
think it would be best if it was exposed for the water to evaporate
better! Dutch ovens are more for trapping steam.

S(Internet address):
   https://www.abeautifulplate.com/how-to-store-bread/

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 0 Calories; 0g Fat (0.0%
calories from fat); 0g Protein; 0g Carbohydrate; 0g Dietary Fiber;
0mg Cholesterol; 0mg Sodium.  Exchanges: .

NOTES : 2020 - 1227