Coupla bread recipes...

Dot McChesney <jrjet@mtco.com>
Fri, 20 Feb 1998 09:53:29 -0600
v098.n016.5
,  daily-bread@lists.best.com

Here are a couple of bread I have recently tried.  Both have turned out
well.  I prefer the Round Crusty Loaf - it turned out exceptionally good.
Any questions - just holler!

Dot

ICQ# -- 5004723
Recipe Section (Always In Progress)!
http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/3053
email:  jrjet@mtco.com

                   *  Exported from  MasterCook Mac  *

                         Buttermilk Bread in ABM

Recipe By     : Baking with Julia
Serving Size  : 12   Preparation Time :0:00
Categories    :
   2 1/2  tsp           instant yeast
   3      T             powdered buttermilk
   1      teaspoon      salt
   3      cups          bread flour
   1      tablespoon    unsalted butter -- room temp.
   3      tablespoons   pure maple syrup
   1      cup           water -- room temp.

I did this recipe 2 ways, the way it is entered and then a second time using 1 cup real buttermilk for the powdered buttermilk and water.  I really prefer the real buttermilk - there is a definite tast difference for the better.  Dot aka. jrjet@mtco.com

Layer ingredients in your ABM, wet first, then dry, ending with yeast.  Use light or medium setting.

                   - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per serving (excluding unknown items): 133 Calories; 2g Fat (11% calories from fat); 4g Protein; 25g Carbohydrate; 3mg Cholesterol; 179mg Sodium

NOTES : This rises really high!  Might try cutting the yeast back just a bit....

_____

                   *  Exported from  MasterCook Mac  *

                        Round Crusty Loaf (Bread)

Recipe By     : Southern Heritage Breads Cookbook
Categories    :
   2      packages      dry yeast
     1/2  cup           sugar
     1/2  cup           warm water -- 105 deg to 115 deg
   2      cups          milk -- scalded
   1      cup           unsalted butter -- softened
   1      teaspoon      salt
   4                    eggs -- beaten
   2      cups          whole wheat flour
   6      cups          bread flour
                        cornmeal
   1                    egg yolk
   1      tsp           whipping cream
                        FOR ABM:
   2      tsp           instant yeast
   2      tablespoons   sugar
   2      tablespoons   warm water
     2/3  cup           milk
     1/3  cup           butter -- softened
     1/4  teaspoon      salt
   1                    egg
     2/3  cup           whole wheat flour
   2      cups          bread flour

Recipe adapted for ABM by jrjet@mtco.com  --  Tested in a Farberware ABM with great results.

FOR ABM:  Place wet ingredients in pan first, then add flour and dry ingredients - ending last with yeast.  I abked this on light setting and it turned out wonderfully!  Definitely a keeper!

TRADITIONAL:  Dissolve yeast and 1 tsp sugar in warm water, stirring well; let stand 5 minutes or until bubbly.

Pour scalded milk over butter in a large mixing bowl; stir until butter has melted.  Cool to lukewarm.  Add remaining sugar, yeast mixture, salt and 4 eggs.  Stir well.  Gradually add whole wheat flour, beating well.  Add ebough bread flour to form a stiff dough.

Turn dough out on a floured surface; knead 10 minutes or until smooth and elastic.  Place in greased bowl, turning once to grease top.  Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled - 1 hour, 15 minutes.

Punch down,turn out and let rest on lightly floured surface -- 5 minutes resting.  Divide dough into 3 parts; shape each portion into a round loaf.  Place loaves on greased baking sheets sprinkled with cornmeal.  Combine egg yolk and whipping cream: mix well and lightly brush over the tops of the loaves.  Cover and rise until doubled in bulk -- 1 hour.

Bake at 400 degrees for 10 minutes; reduce temperature to 350 degrees and bake an additional 20 minutes or until loaves sound hollow when tapped.  Cool on wire racks.  Makes 3 round loaves.

Per serving (excluding unknown items): 2982 Calories; 120g Fat (36% calories from fat); 81g Protein; 400g Carbohydrate; 692mg Cholesterol; 1156mg Sodium

_____