Yeasty taste in breads

"LauraG" <gaggini@gate.usaor.net>
Sat, 28 Feb 1998 08:30:45 -0500
v098.n019.15
The last few times I made bread, it had a strong yeasty aftertaste to
it. The bread came out fine, except for the taste. I made it by hand
and used Fleshmanns (sp) yeast from Sam's Club if that made a
difference. Now that I think of it I used about 2 tablespoons of
yeast for the 2 packages of yeast. Too much yeast??

Thanks,
LauraG
Pittsburgh, PA

                     *  Exported from  MasterCook  *

                      Mary's Portuguese Sweet Bread

Recipe By     : A Hundred Years of Island Cooking
Categories    : Sweet Breads                     Yeast Bread

   2      packages      active dry yeast
     1/2  cup           warm potato water
   3      tablespoons   sugar
   1      cup           mashed potatoes
     1/8  tablespoon    ground ginger
     1/2  cup           milk
   2      teaspoons     salt
   6                    eggs
   1 3/4  cups          sugar
     1/2  cup           butter
   8      cups          flour -- (8 to 10)

Dissolve yeast in potato water.  Stir in the 3 tablespoons sugar, potatoes and ginger.  Cover; let rise until doubled.
Scald milk. add salt and cool to lukewarm.  In small bowl of electric mixer, beat eggs; and gradually beat in the 1 3/4 cups sugar. Stir into yeast mixture.  Add butter and mix well.  Stir in 2 cups of the flour, then the milk.  Add 2 more cups of the fl
our; beat 5 minutes.  Stir in enough remaining flour to make a stiff dough.  Place on lightly floured board and knead in remaining flour until dough is smooth and elastic, about 8 to 10 minutes.  Place in greased bowl. turning to grease top of dough.  Co
ver; let rise until dough is doubled.  Grease four 9" x 5" x 3" loaf pans.  Punch down dough and on a lightly floured board, divide into fourths.  Shape each fourth into a loaf; place in prepared pans.  Cover; let rise until doubled.
Preheat electric oven to 325 degrees F.  Bake for 45 minutes or until done.

NOTES : Use bread pans, and not free form. Reduce baking time, bread tends to burn