Ascorbic acid

jcoppard@awe.co.uk
Mon, 23 Mar 1998 09:20:55 -0000
v098.n025.11
Ruth Provence writes about Ascorbic Acid 'dough enhancer'

Ruth, I think you are using too much. Elisabeth David in "English Bread
and Yeast Cookery" suggests 25 mg per loaf. That is about 1/120 of a
teaspoon. And that is for 'fast-rise' bread.

I have tried it in my ABM and generally it makes a huge difference to
the rise. My white bread tried to get out of the ZO and was a bit floppy
in texture. I have used it succesfully in wholemeal but even there you
have to be careful not to add too much. I suggest a few grains on a
knifepoint as the best addition. IMHO  good Manitoba wheat doesn't need
an enhancer and most English bread flours contain American hard wheat to
get the gluten content right.

John M Coppard
Baughurst
Hampshire