What's the difference?

Mitch Smith <smithm@mvp.net>
Sun, 5 Apr 1998 10:55:56 -0500
v098.n030.2
Tdchsa <Tdchsa@aol.com> wrote:

>You won't recognize me, because I'm a newbie.  I like to make
>fresh bread, but don't have a machine yet.  Will someone please
>let me know what the difference is between recipes for the
>machine and recipes for manual baking?  I'd like to use some of
>these recipes but don't know if they will work without the machine.

You should be able to take any bread machine recipe and make
it by hand with no changes. The reason bread machine recipes are
so "picky" is that you are baking in a confined space inside the
machine. If you use the incorrect proportion of ingredients, you
run the danger of the bread overflowing in the machine and making
a big mess.

With manual baking this is far less of a problem, though one can
still foolishly try to put too much dough in too small a pan. Even
then it usually doesn't make a mess in your oven, you just get an
odd looking loaf.

For that reason, you have to be careful when taking a recipe for
making bread by hand and converting to a "BM" recipe.

- Mitch