GOURMET PRODUCTS SHOW REPORT

BreadMagician@prodigy.com ( LINDA REHBERG)
Sat, 11 Apr 1998 16:39:22, -0500
v098.n031.2
Hi!
Lois and I have just returned from this year's Gourmet Products Show
with news of the latest gadgets and gizmos we'll all be seeing in
kitchen stores this year.

FIRST, THE LATEST IN BREAD MACHINES:
We're both very excited about the new Breadman "Dream Machine".  It's
a 2 lb machine with a vertical loaf that has a unique touch-activated
screen.  You just touch the settings you want on the screen and away
you go!  It's also programmed to display some basic bread recipes on
the screen. There are 110 different bread setting combinations. Two
of our favorite features:  a 10- minute pause which allows you to
remove the dough, roll it out, fill it, roll it up, place it back in
the machine and bake it, without losing rising time...and the
sourdough cycle which allows you to actually ferment a sponge for 16 -
 18 hours at a perfect 85 degrees then add the rest of your
ingredients to bake up into a yummy sourdough bread.
Another innovative machine we think rates a good look is the
Toastmaster combination Toaster Oven/Bread Machine.  It solves the
counter space problem for those who can't find room for their bread
machine.  Toastmaster has put it inside a toaster oven!  You'll find
them at Walmart and K-Mart for about $139.  Toastmaster also has a
new machine called the Dessert Bread Machine.  They've gone just a
bit farther with the cake/quick bread cycle and you can now bake
cheesecakes and fudge, as well.  With all the samples they set out,
it was hard to stay away from their booth!
Just when we thought we'd seen all the latest bread machine
innovations, we stopped at the Regal booth and discovered they've
added a "super rapid" cycle to their best-selling machine.  It now
bakes a loaf of bread in 1 hour!  Incredible!
And though the wonderful Zojirushi V-20 has been on the market for a
year now, it's still worth another mention.  We've been testing
breads in it for the past few months and feel it's a worthy
replacement for the much loved S-15.

BREAD RELATED PRODUCTS:
We spotted something new this year....gorgeous ceramic bread boxes
that are works of art...with a price tag to match!  They are
rectangular, the lid has a handle for lifting and they'd look
fabulous on any kitchen counter or tabletop.
There are new versions of the Fiddlebow knife....one is adjustable
and they now have knives for lefties.
Sanyo has come out with a very clever toaster that's sure to be a
child pleaser.  Put in a slice of bread and out pops a piece of toast
with a panda's face on it!
And for spreadable butter to put on that piece of toast, you need a
Butter Bell Crock.  It's two pieces...a crock and a lid which has a
bell-shaped cup attached underneath it.  Press a stick of fresh
butter into the cup then place the upside-down cup/lid into the crock
which is partially filled with water.  It keeps butter fresh and
spreadable at room temperature for up to a month.

ODDS AND ENDS THAT CAUGHT OUR EYE:
Gourmet Sizzlers - very large, round, shallow electric fry
pans/griddles for cooking pancakes and serving hot hors d'ouevres at
parties.
Cordless appliances - mini food processors, salt and pepper mills,
cheese graters, can openers, and hand blenders.  No more bothersome
cords...they all use the same rechargeable battery.  Sanyo had the
largest selection of appliances and you can purchase them in sets or
separately.  Super wedding gift!
Picnic knapsacks - cloth-lined backpacks loaded with all the picnic
necessities: plates, glasses, utensils, checkered tablecloth and
napkins, etc. plus a separate compartment for food and beverage.
One-pot pasta and sauce cooker - it's a large pasta cooker with an
insert that holds the sauce for heating in the same pot.
Oil spritzers - fill with the oil or salad dressing of choice, give
it a few pumps and you have an oil sprayer without propellants or
additives...a great way to cut calories and also save the ozone
layer!
Onion Blossom Maker - Now you can make those wonderful "bloomin'
onions" at home.  It's a circular plastic cutting guide that holds
the onion as you slice it into perfect segments, then dip it in
batter and deep fry.
Spice carousel - It's an attractive circular spice caddy.  Each
container holds a different spice or herb which you can shake, pour
or measure out 1/4 tsp at a time with each click of the built-in dial.

"Crushgrind" Spice Mill - Each spice jar has it's own small spice
grinder built into the cap.  It's perfect for gourmet cooks who crave
freshly ground spices and herbs.  Fill the jars with whole spices and
herbs such as basil, oregano, thyme, pepper, cloves, cumin, and dried
chilies.
Lastly, something we didn't see at the show but read about in one of
the trade magazines that definitely caught our attention...the
dishwasher in a drawer.  It's called the DishDrawer and I want one!
It's modular with two compartments that slide in and out as drawers
and you can operate them together or separately.  You can also
install extra drawers or place one drawer on each side of the sink,
if desired.  If you're single or newlyweds or empty-nesters you can
wash dishes in one drawer and stack dirty dishes in the other, which
in essence gives you additional kitchen storage because the clean
dishes can remain in there until used.  If you have a large family,
you can wash dishes and glasses in one drawer and pots and pans in
the other.  The manufacturer is Fisher & Paykel, a New Zealand firm,
but I suspect American manufacturers will soon pick up on this new
design.

That's about all we recall that was new and exciting.  If anything we
described caught your fancy, inquire at your favorite kitchen store.
You should be seeing these items on the market very soon.

Linda Rehberg
www.breadmachinemagic.com