Re: Self-Raising Flour

Phil Landis <plandis@spacey.net>
Sun, 14 Jun 1998 09:18:44 -0400
v098.n046.13
>On Sun, 7 Jun 1998 at 10:42:29 -0700 (PDT)
>
>Mavis asked:
>
>        I'd love to make the simple biscuit recipe that was posted
>yesterday, but cannot use commercial self-raising flour due to it's corn
>content ( commercial baking powder is 1/3 cornstarch ). Does anyone have the
>formula for making your own self-raisng flour ( I already make my own baking
>powder )?
>                Thanks, Mavis

This is a small part of the Amy Gale cooking FAQ. It is available by
FTP from this URL:

ftp://rtfm.mit.edu/pub/faqs/cooking/

It is also posted (I believe) at intervals in the rec.food.cooking
newsgroup

----------------
Welcome to the rec.food.cooking FAQ list and conversion helper!

SNIP...SNIP...SNIP...SNIP...

2.1	Flours

US all-purpose flour and UK plain-flour can be substituted for one
another without adjustment.  US cake flour is lighter than these.
It is not used much anymore, but if it does come up, you can substitute
all-pupose/plain flour by removing three tablespoons per cup of flour
and replacing it with corn starch or potato flour.

Self-raising flour contains 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder and 1/2
teaspoon salt for each cup of flour.

US whole wheat flour is interchangeable with UK wholemeal flour.

SNIP...SNIP...SNIP...SNIP...

I hope that this will help,

Phil