ABM Sourdough starter and self-rising flour

ptj <gypsy-witch@rocketmail.com>
Sun, 14 Jun 1998 17:22:07 -0700 (PDT)
v098.n046.16
I happened to have the following two things people requested so I'm
passing them along. I haven't tried this starter yet; it's my next
project. (I'll lick my sourdough problem yet, by golly!) The
self-rising flour formula is  pretty standard. The URLs I got them at
are included:

http://soar.Berkeley.EDU/recipes/

                     *  Exported from  MasterCook  *

                    SOUR DOUGH STARTER FOR BREADMAKER

Recipe By     :
Categories    : Breadmaker                       Breads

   1       c            Skim milk
   3       tb           Plain yogurt
   1       c            Flour
   1                    (6 cup) ceramic or glass
                        -container with tight
                        -fitting lid
  1. Heat skim milk to 90-100ø f. Remove from heat and stir into
yogurt.   2. Allow to stand at room temperature 18-24 hours or until
curds form.  Stir with wooden spoon once or twice to keep liquid mixed
in.
  3.  Gradually stir in flour; mix well.  Allow to stand 2 to 5 days.
   4. When starter is ready it is bubbly and spongy looking and has a
good sour aroma.  Starter should be kept in the refrigerator after
this five day period.
  5. To use starter bring to room temperature and allow it to get
bubly again before using it.
  6. Replenish starter after each use with equal portions of milk and
flour.  Example: If using 1 1/2 cups add 1 1/2 cups each: milk & flour.
  7. Repeat steps 1, 2, and 3.

http://www.pastrywiz.com/archive/recipe/0120.htm

For 1 cup self-rising flour use:

     1 cup all-purpose flour
     1 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
     a pinch of salt.

Bright blessings!

ptj
===

Visit Hearthstone Community Church on the Web at
www.geocities.com/Athens/Acropolis/4213

The gods move in mysterious ways. Sometimes it falls to us mortals to
read them the road map...