Onion Rye Bread

ptj <gypsy-witch@rocketmail.com>
Sun, 6 Dec 1998 13:22:21 -0800 (PST)
v098.n081.7
I discovered a spice (?) that is now vital to my rye bread. It's
called charnuska, and it's described as black caraway. I don't know if
it's actually related to caraway, but I do know that I made this
recipe last week for a dinner party and my friend Dan, who is from New
Jersey and says he loves his Levy's (I understood that reference,
which scares me...) said it was the best onion rye he'd had outside of
the neighborhood bakery of his youth. Of course, he always was a
polite fellow... but it's pretty good rye bread nonetheless...

(I discovered charnuska in the Penzey's catalog. I think they're at
http://www.penzeys.com. Dan says he's going to check the Indian
speciality store by his house to see if he can get it there in bulk,
but Penzey's isn't exactly overpriced?)

Gypsy's Onion Rye (I invented this recipe so I get to name it after
myself?<g>)
ABM

1 pkg active dry years
2 C bread flour
1 C rye flour (I used dark rye from Bob's Red Mill)
3 Tb brown sugar
1 1/2 - 2 Tb charnuska (it's sour, so judge for yourself_
1 1/2 Tb dehydrated onion (add an additional 2 tsp water if using the
higher amount)
1/2 tsp salt
1 Tb olive oil
1 C + 2 Tb warm water

===

Visit Hearthstone Community Church on the Web at
this address is changing...watch this space for new address

The gods move in mysterious ways. Sometimes it falls to us mortals to
read them the road map...