Honey-oat Pain De Mie Bread

Sat, 09 Mar 2019 17:28:22 -0800
v119.n010.4
We plan on making this next week. If you make it before we do please
let us know how it turned out. The reviews are positive.

* Exported from MasterCook *

                        Bread, Honey-oat Pain De Mie

Recipe By     :King Arthur Flour Co
Categories    : Bread                           Bread-Bakers Mailing List
                 Low Fat                         Posted

   361                g  Unbleached All-Purpose Flour -- (3C or 12 3/4 ozs)
   2 1/4      teaspoons  instant yeast
   85                 g  old-fashioned rolled oats -- (not quick
oats), (1C or 3 ozs)
   1 1/2      teaspoons  salt
   57                 g  melted butter -- (4T or 2 ozs)
   64                 g  honey -- (3T or 2 1/4 ozs)
   227                g  lukewarm water -- *Note (255g, 1C to 1C+2Tor
8 to 9 ozs)

This sandwich loaf, with its hint of sweetness from both honey and
oats, is wonderfully moist and tender. And, since it bakes in a pain
de mie pan (pullman loaf pan), each slice is beautifully shaped, with
an ultra-thin crust - ideal for kids. It slices easily for sandwiches
and toast; try it in French toast for a tasty twist on that breakfast favorite.

*Note: Use the smaller amount in the summer, or in a humid climate;
the larger in winter, or in a drier climate.

PREP: 15 mins. to 25 mins.
BAKE: 35 mins. to 40 mins.
TOTAL: 2:50 to 4:05
YIELD: 1 standard loaf

Combine all of the ingredients, and mix until cohesive. Cover the
bowl, and let the dough rest for 20 minutes, to give the oats a
chance to absorb some of the liquid. Then knead - by hand, stand
mixer, or bread machine - to make a smooth, soft, elastic dough.

Place the dough in a lightly greased bowl, or in an 8-cup measure (so
you can track its progress as it rises), and let it rise for 1 to 1
1/2 hours, until it's risen noticeably. It won't necessarily double in bulk.

Gently deflate the dough, and shape it into a 9" log. Place the log
in a lightly greased 9" pain de mie (pullman) pan, pressing it gently
to flatten.

Place the lid on the pan (or cover with plastic wrap, for a better
view), and let the dough rise until it's about 1" below the top of
the pan/lid, 60 to 90 minutes. Towards the end of the rising time,
preheat the oven to 350F.

Remove the plastic (if you've used it), slide the pan's lid
completely closed, and bake the bread for 30 minutes.

Remove the lid, and bake for an additional 5 minutes, or until an
instant-read thermometer inserted into the center registers at least 190F.

Remove the bread from the oven, and turn it out of the pan onto a
rack. Run a stick of butter over the top, if desired; this will yield
a soft, buttery crust. Cool completely before cutting; wrap airtight
and store for several days at room temperature.

Notes: Can you make this without a pain de mie pan? Yes. Simply bake
it in a 9" x 5" loaf pan instead of a pain de mie pan.
How about making this recipe in a standard (13" x 4") pain de mie
pan? Increase all the ingredients except the yeast by 50%; leave the
yeast as is. Bake the bread for about 35 minutes with the lid on, and
8 to 10 minutes with the lid removed.

Cal 140, Fat 4g, Carb 24g, Sod 220mg, Fiber 1g, Pro 4g

Review: This is a terrific recipe that I've baked many times. Just
one word of warning. In my experience, the 2nd rise moves MUCH more
quickly than the instructions indicate so it's very easy to end up
with bread "leaking" out around the Pullman lid after you start the
bake. Just watch it closely. It's really great bread and well worth
that small hassle.

Review: I baked this in a standard loaf pan since I do not have a pan
de mie pan. It turned out very well. The bread had a great flavor and
cut well for sandwiches. I will definitely make this again.

Question: Just made this and it was delicious! Can I use whole wheat
flour for this?
Response: You can easily add whole wheat flour to many of your
favorite recipes. Start by replacing half of the all-purpose flour
with whole wheat flour (either white or traditional whole wheat).
There's no need to make any changes to the recipe with this approach.
If you'd replace 100% of the white flour with whole wheat, add about
2 teaspoons of additional liquid per cup of whole wheat flour. Before
baking, allow the mixture to rest for about 15 minutes so that the
whole grains can absorb the additional liquid and soften slightly.
Add extra liquid if the mixture seems dry or stiff, and then bake as
you normally would.

Review: Great simple sandwich loaf. Mine was just short of fully
filling the pullman pan - I had a slightly domed top rather than the
usual sharp corners. Regardless, this had a terrific crumb, was very
soft and light. Flavor was slightly sweet and buttery, with a little
texture from the oats. Will certainly make this again, perhaps with a
little whole wheat flour in the mix.

Review: oh my goodness! So easy, simple, and quick! I started at
7:30-ish and had fresh bread by 11!!!!! My house stays around 77F, so
that's part of the reason why. Kneaded by hand. It started out
sticky, but I didn't add any extra flour, and it became glossier by
the time the gluten was developed. I followed the directions for
increasing for 13 x 4 x 4" pans, but used less yeast than the recipe
originally calls for and less salt. INCREDIBLE! Better than any
oatmeal bread from the store! This will definitely be a mainstay!

Review: This bread is so yummy!! Very easy to make. Next time, I will
put the lid on for the final rise to try to get the sharp corners - I
used plastic wrap to watch the rise but it got fatter in the middle
and not the corners. Will definitely make this again and again.

Review: This bread delivers. It's a little sweeter than I prefer, but
my granddaughters love it, and it's very easy to make. I made it in a
standard 9x5" pan following the recipe exactly, and it came out
beautifully. It's soft, easy to slice with a lovely crumb, and I'm
sure it's going to toast beautifully. Now, on to Challah next.

Review: I did the variation to fit the larger size pan. Timing was
perfect, no need for adjustments. The oats add a little chew and a
bit of nutty taste. Overall a good loaf an well worth your while if
you're wondering what to do will that Pullman loaf pan.

Review: This is a great tasting bread. I use 1 cup of whole wheat
flour and 2 cups all-purpose flour.

Review: I used the directions for the 13" Pullman Pan. I followed it
exactly. It came out fabulous. This bread is delicious. I had the
first two pieces warm with butter. Can't wait to use it for a
sandwich. Why have I been buying bread? Not any more.

S(Internet address):
   "https://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/honey-oat-pain-de-mie-recipe";

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 142 Calories; 3g Fat (22.0%
calories from fat); 3g Protein; 24g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber;
8mg Cholesterol; 231mg Sodium.  Exchanges: 1 1/2 Grain(Starch); 0
Lean Meat; 1/2 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates.

NOTES : 2019 - 0309