Ridiculously Easy Cinnamon Raisin Biscuits

Fri, 08 Mar 2019 14:20:38 -0800
v119.n012.3
* Exported from MasterCook *

                Biscuits, Ridiculously Easy Cinnamon Raisin

Recipe By     :Chris Scheuer
Serving Size  : 8     Preparation Time :0:00
Categories    : Biscuits/Scones                 Bread-Bakers Mailing List
                 Posted

                         For the biscuits:
      1/3           cup  raisins -- (48.33g)
   1           teaspoon  water -- (4.93ml)
   1                cup  cold buttermilk -- * (240ml)
   8        tablespoons  butter -- (118.29g)
   2               cups  all-purpose flour -- more for counter (250g)
   2          teaspoons  baking powder -- (9.86g)
      1/2      teaspoon  baking soda -- (2.86g)
   1           teaspoon  sugar -- (4.93g)
      3/4      teaspoon  kosher salt -- (3.7g)
                         For the cinnamon swirl:
   2          teaspoons  cinnamon -- (9.86g)
      1/3           cup  granulated sugar -- (66.67g)
   1         tablespoon  melted butter -- (14.97g)
   2          teaspoons  water -- (9.86ml)
                         For the icing:
   1                cup  powdered sugar -- (240g)
   2        tablespoons  milk -- to 3T (4T)
      1/2      teaspoon  vanilla extract -- (0.5 tsp)

These easy cinnamon raisin biscuits are tender, flaky and studded
with sweet, plump raisins. Ridiculously easy, ridiculously delicious!

Prep: 10 mins
Cook: 18 mins
Total: 28 mins

For the biscuits:
Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 425F. Line a
sheet pan with parchment paper or spray a sheet pan with cooking spray.

Combine the raisins and water in a microwave-safe bowl or cup. Cover
with a small plate or plastic wrap. Microwave on high for 30 seconds.
Remove from microwave, uncover and stir with a fork to loosen and
separate. Set aside to cool.

Measure 1 cup of buttermilk and place in the freezer while prepping
other ingredients (you want it to be in the freezer about 10 minutes.

Place butter in a microwave-safe bowl, cover with a paper towel and
heat on high for 40 seconds. If not completely melted, return to
microwave for 10-second intervals till melted. Set aside to cool.

Stir together cinnamon and sugar. Add melted butter and water. Stir
until combined. Mixture will be the consistency of very wet sand. Set aside

Whisk flour, baking powder, baking soda, sugar, and salt in large bowl.

After buttermilk has been chilled in freezer for 10 minutes, combine
it with the melted butter. Stir with a fork until butter forms small
clumps or globules.

Add buttermilk mixture to dry ingredients and stir with rubber
spatula Just until all flour is incorporated. Dough will be fairly stiff.

Scatter cinnamon sugar mixture over the top and, with a rubber
spatula fold the dough from the bottom of the bowl over the
cinnamon/sugar mixture on the top. Repeat. Don't stir the dough, just
fold it twice. You want the cinnamon/sugar mixture in raggedy ribbons
throughout the dough, not completely stirred in.

Scoop dough up into 8 (or 12 for smaller biscuits) mounds on the
prepared sheet pan. (I like to use a retractable ice cream scoop for this.)

Bake until tops are light golden brown and crisp, 14 to 18 minutes.

Allow to cool, then drizzle with icing.

For the icing:

Combine powdered sugar, 2 tablespoons of milk and vanilla and whisk
together until smooth. The mixture should be thick but pourable. If
too thick, add a little more milk.

Drizzle over biscuits in desired amount.

Café Tips for making these Easy Cinnamon Raisin Biscuits:
Don't worry if your raisins look dry and/or shriveled. The simple
plumping technique will transform them and they'll taste nice and fresh.

If you don't have buttermilk, make your own. Place 1 tablespoon of
fresh lemon juice or vinegar in a measuring cup. Fill to 1 cup level
with milk and stir well. Allow the mixture to sit for 5-10 minutes or
until slightly thickened. The mixture may curdle a bit, that's okay!
Use in recipes in lieu of buttermilk.

Don't skip chilling the buttermilk! It makes this recipe work! If the
buttermilk is not really cold, the little butter globules won't form.
Our daughter lived in London for 7 years. During my visits there I
learned the UK all-purpose flour (plain flour) is a bit different and
it seemed I needed more, probably closer to 2 1/4 cups.

These biscuits freeze well, either baked or unbaked. Just place
biscuits on a sheet pan or a plate spaced at least a half inch from
each other. Freeze till frozen, then transfer biscuits to a ziplock
bag or air-tight storage container. If the biscuits have been baked,
allow them to thaw and then warm in the oven before serving. If
frozen unbaked, you can go right from the freezer to the oven. Allow
a few extra minutes in baking time.

I use a large trigger ice cream scooper to scoop up my biscuits into
nice consistent-sized mounds. A little trick is to spray the scooper
with non-stick cooking spray for easy scooping.

For a pretty presentation, I love to bake and serve these cinnamon
raisin biscuits on a cast iron griddle pan. This pan is also
wonderful for grilled sandwiches, pancakes and pizza. It would make a
fun gift for a cooking friend or family member!

Cal 201, Fat 9g, Carb 26g, Sod 290mg, Fiber 1g, Pro 3g

S(Internet address):
   "https://thecafesucrefarine.com/ridiculously-easy-cinnamon-raisin-biscuits/";
Yield:
   "8 to 12"

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 356 Calories; 14g Fat (34.1%
calories from fat); 5g Protein; 55g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber;
37mg Cholesterol; 544mg Sodium.  Exchanges: 1 1/2 Grain(Starch); 1/2
Fruit; 0 Non-Fat Milk; 2 1/2 Fat; 1 1/2 Other Carbohydrates.

NOTES : 2018 - 1120