Whole Wheat and Steel-Cut Oats Long-Fermentation Bread

Sun, 30 Jun 2019 17:09:59 -0700
v119.n027.4
* Exported from MasterCook *

       Bread, Whole Wheat and Steel-Cut Oats Long-Fermentation Bread

Recipe By     :judy2304
Categories    : Bread                           Bread-Bakers Mailing List
                 Low Fat                         Posted
                 Stand Mixer

   2               cups  steel-cut oats
   5               cups  bread flour
   4               cups  whole wheat flour
      3/4           cup  nonfat dry milk powder
   6        tablespoons  coconut sugar
   3        tablespoons  vital wheat gluten -- optional
   2        tablespoons  kosher salt
   2        tablespoons  flax seeds -- crushed, optional
      3/4      teaspoon  active dry yeast
   5               cups  water
   6        tablespoons  vegetable oil
   3        tablespoons  apple cider vinegar -- (such as Bragg)
   2        tablespoons  all-purpose flour -- or as needed
   1                     egg
   1         tablespoon  water -- or as needed

This is a no-knead bread recipe that I put together using ideas from
other recipes and my own variations. During the long fermentation
period, the grains soften and swell to give the bread a wholesome and
satisfying flavor and texture. It has a chewy crust that is crispy
when toasted and a soft crumb. This bread is more convenient because
it can be mixed one day and baked the next day when you have time.
The long fermentation releases the nutrients of the grain and
enhances the flavor of the bread.

Prep: 50 min
Cook: 1 hr
Ready In: 22:35

Heat a heavy skillet over medium heat. Add the steel cut oats; cook
and stir until lightly toasted, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat.

Combine bread flour, whole wheat flour, toasted steel cut oats, dry
milk, sugar, gluten, salt, flax seeds, and yeast in the bowl of a
stand mixer with a paddle attachment. Add 5 cups water, oil, and
vinegar. Mix on low until all ingredients are moistened. Increase
speed to medium-high; mix until gluten is developed and dough is
elastic, about 5 minutes.

Turn dough into a clean, oiled bowl. Cover with plastic wrap. Let
rise in a warm place until doubled in volume, 1 to 2 hours.

Stretch and fold dough 4 to 6 times. Place back in bowl, cover, and
refrigerate 16 to 18 hours.

Remove from the refrigerator 2 to 4 hours before baking. Turn out
onto a well-floured surface; sprinkle top of dough with flour. Halve
the dough; flatten each half. Fold in all 4 sides like an envelope;
press edges together into the dough. Shape each piece into a loaf
with the smooth side on top. Place in 2 loaf pans; cover with a
non-terry towel. Let rise until dough just crests above the top of
the pan, 45 minutes to 1 hour.

Preheat oven to 500F (260C). Place a pan of water on the lower rack
to produce steam for the bread.

Whisk egg with 1 tablespoon water in a small bowl. Coat tops of
loaves with the egg wash.

Bake in the preheated oven until browned, about 15 minutes. Remove
the pan of water carefully; cover loaves with aluminum foil tents.
Continue baking until an instant-read thermometer inserted into a
loaf reads 200 to 205F (93 to 96C), 45 to 60 minutes more.

Remove loaves from pans and cool on a wire rack.

Cook's Notes: 9-grain cracked cereal may be substituted for the
toasted steel-cut oats.

You can use dry baker's milk in place of the non-fat milk.
Use any natural sweetener you prefer.
Vegetable oil may be substituted with any nut oil or MCT oil.
After coating your loaves with egg wash, feel free to sprinkle your
favorite toppings on top.
Another way to produce steam during the first 7 to 10 minutes baking
is to spray the oven sides with water at least 3 times at 5 minute intervals.

Cal 188, Fat 5g, Carb 30g, Sod 507mg, Fiber 4g, Pro 7g

Review: Good base recipe. I used this to make a multigrain cinnamon
raisin bread. I swapped out 1 cup of the bread flour for 2 cups of
ground oats, added an egg for richness, used up my slightly sour milk
instead of water, added 1 cup of raisins (soaked in the milk with the
wet ingredients, 1 Tbs of molasses. After the over night rest I
rolled out the dough to about 1/2 inch thick then applied a cinnamon
sugar mix to it like cinnamon rolls. Rolled up the bread then let it
rise. For the cinnamon sugar mix I used 1/4 c brown sugar, 2 Tbs
white sugar, and 1 Tbs cinnamon. Made 4 BIG loaves. Don't add
cinnamon to the bread before the rising because it's an antifungal
and can interfere with the yeast.

Review: I tried this bread because I had never made yeasted bread
before. I did however make quick bread and thought this would be
along similar lines. First of all I followed the recipe exactly. I
ended up with a lot more dough than the recipe would suggest. I had
to divide between 2 really large bowls. It too much dough to put in
just 2 loaf pans so I ended up putting it in 2, 9 inch, round pans.
However the real problem was the oven temperature. I set my oven at
500 degrees. I brushed the tops with egg wash and put them in the
oven for 15 minutes with a pan of water underneath the bread as
directed. After 15 minutes the bread was beautifully brown. The
recipe stated to tent them which I did and leave them in the oven for
another 45 to 60 minutes! I left them for another 10 minutes before
noticing a burning smell. Both loaves were badly burned on the bottom
and one was burned on the side. When i cut away the burnt part the
bread itself is very good. But I think I will learn to knead bread.

Review: I love this kind of grain bread. I had some steel cut oats
that I needed to use. My mom used to make wheat bread that looked a
lot like this bread. I love the crunchy crust, the thick texture of
the bread, and it tastes delicious toasted! Hubby loves it too! Will
make again, as soon as I get some more steel cut oats!

Review: This is my recipe, and I also make it with the 9 grain mix
that does not have to be toasted. I usually use coconut palm sugar as
the sweetener. This bread is great for toasting, but toasting takes
more time than store bread. This is not like any bread you can buy in
a store, and you know what goes into it. I make multiple loaves and
freeze them after slicing. That way I can use slices as I need them.

S(Internet address):
   https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/260235/whole-wheat-and-steel-cut-oats-bread-a-long-fermentation-bread/

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 289 Calories; 6g Fat (17.8%
calories from fat); 11g Protein; 49g Carbohydrate; 4g Dietary Fiber;
9mg Cholesterol; 491mg Sodium.  Exchanges: 3 Grain(Starch); 1/2 Lean
Meat; 0 Fruit; 0 Non-Fat Milk; 1 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates.

NOTES : 2019 - 0523