Wonderful English Muffins

Tue, 28 Apr 2020 18:09:49 -0700
v120.n018.6
* Exported from MasterCook *

                         English Muffins, Wonderful

Recipe By     :Linda Rasmussen
Categories    : Bread-Bakers Mailing List       Low Fat
                 Muffins/Rolls                   Posted

   1                cup  whole milk
      1/4           cup  butter -- cubed
   2        tablespoons  sugar
   1           teaspoon  salt
   4 1/2            tsp  active dry yeast -- (1/4 oz each)
   1                cup  warm water -- (110 to 115F)
   2               cups  all-purpose flour
   3               cups  whole wheat flour -- (to 3 1/2C)
   1         tablespoon  sesame seeds
   1         tablespoon  poppy seeds
                         Cornmeal

When I was growing up on a farm, my mom always seemed to be making
homemade bread...nothing tasted so good! Now I like to make these
simple yet delicious muffins for my own family.

Prep: 30 min. + rising
Cook: 25 min.

Scald milk in a saucepan; add butter, sugar and salt. Stir until
butter melts; cool to lukewarm. In a small bowl, dissolve yeast in
warm water; add to milk mixture. Stir in all-purpose flour and 1 cup
whole wheat flour until smooth. Add sesame seeds, poppy seeds and
enough remaining whole wheat flour to make a soft dough.

Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 8
to 10 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top.
Cover and let rise until doubled, about 1 hour.

Punch dough down. Roll to 1/3" thickness on a cornmeal-covered
surface. Cut into circles with a 3 1/2" or 4" cutter; cover with a
towel and let rise until nearly doubled, about 30 minutes.

Place muffins, cornmeal side down, in a greased skillet; cook over
medium-low heat for 12 to 14 minutes or until bottoms are browned.
Turn and cook about 12 to 14 minutes or until browned. Cool on wire
racks; split and toast to serve.

Cal 240, Fat 6g, Carb 41g, Sod 248mg, Fiber 4g, Pro 7g

Review: These turned out very nice. I rolled the dough to thin, but
they still tasted great. You need an afternoon blocked off to make
these as it does take time.

Review: Very simple to make. I think I made them too thick and cooked
them too hot, but we still gobbled them up.

Review: These are WONDERFUL! I, too, thought it might be a challenge
to make these, but they were easy! After looking on the Internet, I
decided to cut them into squares. They cooked easily as directed in a
greased skillet. When they were totally cool, I split them using a
fork. Had all the nooks and crannies just like the store bought
ones!!! This recipe is definitely a keeper.

Review: I was surprised how much like store bought muffins these
were. They were really easy and delicious.

Review: These turned out great! I was a little unsure about making my
own English muffins, but they turned out so well I may never buy them
again. My toddler just loved them with peanut butter or jelly.

S(Internet address):
   https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/wonderful-english-muffins/

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 245 Calories; 6g Fat (21.6%
calories from fat); 8g Protein; 42g Carbohydrate; 5g Dietary Fiber;
13mg Cholesterol; 230mg Sodium.  Exchanges: 2 1/2 Grain(Starch); 0
Lean Meat; 0 Non-Fat Milk; 1 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates.

NOTES : 2020 - 0428