Baking at 5,000 feet

David Weiss-Dunn <dhweissdunn@outlook.com>
Wed, 15 Dec 2021 03:40:12 +0000
v121.n045.2
Greetings!! I am brand new to this email list, and am very excited to
be part of this community.

I have looked through some of the postings that concern baking at
"high altitude".  I live at 5,000 feet, and have made bread using some
of Ken Forkish's formulas as well some from a couple of Peter
Reinhart's books and Bien Cuit by Golper and Kaminsky.

While the breads have turned out fairly well (I'm a newly-returned
bread baking enthusiast, and my standards for "fairly well" are likely
a wee bit low), they have been a tad dense, much like the baker.  :) I
use active dry yeast which I rehydrate - haven't quite decided to go
the instant yeast route.  I grind my own flour using wheat berries
both from our CSA and from Breadtopia.

While I have suspicions about the way I am using the active dry yeast
in recipes that call for instant yeast, multiplying the called for
amounts by 1.25, I also am wondering if the 5,000 feet elevation may
have something to do with this.  While not really high altitude, I
suspect that it's enough, both in terms of barometric pressure and
lack of humidity, to have some impact.

This is a rambling post with a fairly amorphously posed question.  But
if anyone has any feedback on what I might try to have bread be a bit
lighter in density, I would be grateful.  Thank you all very much!!

Flour power,

VelkySyr