No-knead Harvest Bread

Fri, 03 Jun 2022 21:24:52 -0700
v122.n019.4
* Exported from MasterCook *

                          Bread, No-knead Harvest

Recipe By     :
Categories    : Bread                           Bread-Bakers Mailing List
                 Fruit                           Low Fat
                 Nuts                            Posted

   390                g  Unbleached All-Purpose Flour -- or
High-Gluten Flour, (3 1/4C or 13 3/4 oz)
   113                g  Whole Wheat Flour -- or White Whole Wheat
Flour, (1C or 4 oz)
   2          teaspoons  salt
      1/2      teaspoon  instant yeast
   397                g  cool water -- (1 3/4C or 14 oz)
   85                 g  dried cranberries -- (3/4C or 3 oz)
   85                 g  golden raisins -- (1/2C or 3 oz)
   113                g  coarsely chopped pecans -- or walnuts, (1C or 4 oz)

Plan ahead for this easy bread - an overnight or all-day rise gives
it terrific flavor. For the best crust, bake in a ceramic bread
crock, or a covered clay baker.

PREP: 15 mins. to 8:05
BAKE: 50 mins. to 60 mins.
TOTAL: 1:10 to 9:25
YIELD: 1 loaf
Serving Size: 77g

Mix the flours, salt, yeast, and water in a large bowl. Stir, then
use your hands to mix and form a sticky dough.

Work the dough just enough to incorporate all the flour, then work in
the fruit and nuts.

Cover the bowl with plastic wrap, and let it rest at room temperature
overnight, or for at least 8 hours; it'll become bubbly and rise
quite a bit, so use a large bowl.

Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface, and form it into a
log or round loaf to fit your 14" to 15" long lidded stoneware baker;
9" x 12" oval deep casserole dish with cover; or 9" to 10" round
lidded baking crock.

Place the dough in the lightly greased pan, smooth side up.

Cover and let rise at room temperature for about 2 hours, until it's
become puffy. It should rise noticeably, but it's not a real high-riser.

Using a sharp knife or lame, slash the bread in a crosshatch pattern.
Place the lid on the pan, and put the bread in the cold oven. Set the
oven temperature to 450F.

Bake the bread for 45 to 50 minutes, then remove the lid and continue
to bake for another 5 to 15 minutes, until it's deep brown in color,
and an instant-read thermometer inserted into the center registers
about 205F. Remove the bread from the oven, turn out onto a rack, and
cool before slicing.

Tips: Using High-Gluten Flour, with its higher protein level, allows
this bread to rise higher than it will with all-purpose flour.

Walnuts sometimes give this bread a faint purple tinge. If this
bothers you, use pecans instead.

Cal 196, Fat 5g, Carb 33g, Sod 293mg, Fiber 3g, Pro 5g

Review: This was a really great recipe! Very easy, very adaptable. I
mixed in walnuts and dried tart cherries. I was worried that the
bread would somehow be too sweet with the cherries, but this wasn't
the case at all. Great recipe and will make again!

Review: I've made this bread twice now and it came out great both
times. The first time I used black raisins, and the second time
golden, both came out great. Next time I was might try toasting the
pecans before first, and maybe try adding dates. Also, the 2nd time I
reduced the nuts and raisins etc to 2/3, and it still felt ample.
Called the KAF hotline a couple of times too with minor
questions...and they actually have a real, friendly, knowledgeable
human who picks up the phone! Who does that anymore?!? Thank you,
KAF! You guys are the best!!

Review: I love this bread. at first, I was a little bit worry,
because is so moist, and jigglely, that i thought it was going to be
a Big Fail. but it turn out to be very good. I havent cramberries but
I had plum drowned in Run, from a previous french bread, and use that
instead of. It turn out a little bit purple, but very good.

Question: Wow! The ease of making this loaf is only outdone by the
delicious taste and great texture. I made it as written using
raisins, walnuts, cranberries and chopped dried apricots. The dough
was a little stiff when I mixed it so I splashed a bit of water on it
so the mix-ins could be incorporated well. I love that the loaf rises
in the baking container and goes into a cold oven. I was skeptical,
but it was beautiful with a 45 minute covered bake and an 8 minute
uncovered bake. I used an Emile Henri clay Dutch oven and the result
was perfection. I do have a question...I make the similar Tuscan
coffeecake recipe quite often and love the sugar-vanilla coating on
the top. Would brushing the mixture on this loaf also give me that
same thin sweet coating on the crust?

Response: We haven't tried it but we don't see why it isn't worth
experimenting with.

Review: Baker for 50+ years...some as professional when I was very
young...and this recipe worked out very well with the problem I have
with my current oven not letting me bake over 430 (independent
thermometer cause stove thermo says 500 but isn't). I like to test
out new recipes as a hobby but find my oven is my biggest problem.
THIS recipe (I chose no nuts, just fruit)worked well at a lower
temperature...and I picked it because it said you could put dough
into baking pan to proof. I chose to do a stretch and fold 3 times in
a 2 hr period in middle of the night...the shaped about 7 hours
later...into a banneton (linen). Beautiful dough, good bubbles. I put
proofed dough after 1 35 mins into an unheated pyrex dish covered
with the unheated bowl portion of the 2.5 qt set. Removed 15 mins
(cause dough was starting to touch top)...and finished baking. While
it was NOT a dramatic ear singed loaf...it was a beautiful loaf with
good height and moisture. I wrapped bread in towel after 20
mins...and the crust was still very friable...thin....and easy to
chew. I share bread with neighbor seniors...and it is hard for them
to eat a bread baked high temp, in dutch oven. This worked very
well...and tasted wonderful.

Question: This bread turned out great! Perfect breakfast toast with
butter or cream cheese - YUM. When I - somewhat embarrassingly -
discovered I was out of AP flour, the KAF hotline came thru and
recommended that, among all the other flours I had on hand, I
substitute bread flour. It worked great, and next time I am going to
try the high-gluten flour. I am wondering - is it possible to use my
sourdough discard in this bread as part of the leavening and flavor?
I'm trying to discover all the easy and delicious things to quickly
make with the discard as it kills me to ever toss it.

Response: Since it's discard, it won't do much in the way of
leavening, but adding some sourdough discard will impart flavor. You
can do this for pretty much any yeasted recipe. Replace 120 g (1
scant cup) flour and 120 g (1/2 cup) of water from the recipe with
240 (about 1 cup) of your sourdough discard.

Review: I made this bread yesterday, it is very easy to make. I did
make a few changes. I added more water because my dough was very dry,
some candied orange rind and a teaspoon of fennel seeds. I let is
proof overnight. The next morning I shaped it into a loaf and rolled
it over flour, let it rise for three hours and baked it on a pizza
stone. Delicious! Will definitely make this again!

Review: Very easy to make, and the instructions were easy to follow.
I made two loaves for thanksgiving, it is very nice toasted too! I
would also make again for a brunch.

Review: Nice bread for a fall day! I started baking the bread in my
covered clay baker at 450 degrees. As my oven was pre-heating, I
re-read some of the reviews. I decided to turn down the oven to 400
and am glad that I did.The bread was done in 45 minutes after the
pre-heating alarm went off. I didn't uncover the baker and the bread
was still a deep brown and yes, the top raisins were slightly burnt.
After the bread cooled for a short time, I rolled my finger over the
burnt raisins and they fell off. Problem solved! The bread was light
and tender with a chewy, crisp crust. I'll definitely make the bread
again. I'm anxious to try it with different nuts, dried fruits and
maybe the cinnamon or orange zest. A keeper recipe!

Review: Called in due to no whole wheat flour, Substituted half
pumpernickel and half all purpose flour along with an eighth of a cup
of extra water. Used dried cherries in place of cranberries. Found
out baking time is from when oven beeps at 450F. Baked in a ceramic
bowl and sealed the top with aluminum foil. Beautiful, delicious very
crusty bread!

S(Internet address):
   https://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/no-knead-harvest-bread-recipe

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 179 Calories; 5g Fat (25.4%
calories from fat); 4g Protein; 30g Carbohydrate; 2g Dietary Fiber;
0mg Cholesterol; 269mg Sodium.  Exchanges: 1 1/2 Grain(Starch); 0
Lean Meat; 1/2 Fruit; 1 Fat.

NOTES : 2019 - 0607