Shockingly Easy No-Knead Focaccia

Mon, 25 Mar 2024 10:42:55 -0700
v124.n007.9
* Exported from MasterCook *

                     Focaccia, Shockingly Easy No-Knead

Recipe By     :Sarah Jampel
Categories    : Bread                           Bread-Bakers Mailing List
                 Hand Made                       Posted

   2 1/4            tsp  active dry yeast -- (1 1/4-oz. envelope)
   2               tsp.  honey
   5               cups  all-purpose flour -- (625 g)
   5               tsp.  Diamond Crystal salt -- or 1 Tbsp. Morton kosher salt
   6              Tbsp.  extra-virgin olive oil -- divided, plus more for hands
   4              Tbsp.  unsalted butter -- plus more for pan
                         Flaky sea salt
   2                     garlic cloves -- to 4 garlic cloves

If you want to fill your kitchen with the smell of fresh-baked bread
but you're nervous about shaping a boule or working with a starter,
focaccia is the best place to begin. We're not exaggerating when we
say it requires zero skill and provides ample opportunity to be
amazed by yourself and by the wonders of yeast. Letting the dough do
its first rise in the fridge for 8 to 24 hours (like, while you're
working or sleeping) means improved flavor and ease of handling. If
you don't feel like waiting that long (we get it), leave it covered
at room temperature until doubled in size, 3 to 4 hours. And even if
you skip the garlic butter, this will still make for spectacular
sandwich bread.

Whisk one 1/4-oz. envelope active dry yeast (about 2 1/4 tsp.), 2
tsp. honey, and 2 1/2 cups lukewarm water in a medium bowl and let
sit 5 minutes (it should foam or at least get creamy; if it doesn't
your yeast is dead and you should start again - check the expiration date!).

Add 5 cups (625 g) all-purpose flour and 5 tsp. Diamond Crystal or 1
Tbsp. Morton kosher salt and mix with a rubber spatula until a shaggy
dough forms and no dry streaks remain.

Pour 4 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil into a big bowl that will fit in
your refrigerator. This puppy is going to rise! Transfer dough to
bowl and turn to coat in oil. Cover with a silicone lid or plastic
wrap and chill until dough is doubled in size (it should look very
bubbly and alive), at least 8 hours and up to 1 day. If you're in a
rush, you can also let it rise at room temperature until doubled in
size, 3 to 4 hours.

Generously butter a 13x9" baking pan, for thicker focaccia that's
perfect for sandwiches, or an 18x13" rimmed baking sheet, for
focaccia that's thinner, crispier, and great for snacking. The butter
may seem superfluous, but it'll ensure that your focaccia doesn't
stick. Pour 1 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil into center of pan.
Keeping the dough in the bowl and using a fork in each hand, gather
up edges of dough farthest from you and lift up and over into center
of bowl. Give the bowl a quarter turn and repeat process. Do this 2
more times; you want to deflate dough while you form it into a rough
ball. (We learned this technique from Alexandra Stafford, who uses it
to shape her no-knead bread.) Transfer dough to prepared pan. Pour
any oil left in bowl over and turn dough to coat it in oil. Let rise,
uncovered, in a dry, warm spot (like near a radiator or on top of the
fridge or a preheating oven) until doubled in size, at least 1 1/2
hours and up to 4 hours.

Place a rack in middle of oven; preheat to 450F. To see if the dough
is ready, poke it with your finger. It should spring back slowly,
leaving a small visible indentation. If it springs back quickly, the
dough isn't ready. (If at this point the dough is ready to bake but
you aren't, you can chill it up to 1 hour.) Lightly oil your hands.
If using a rimmed baking sheet, gently stretch out dough to fill (you
probably won't need to do this if using a baking pan). Dimple
focaccia all over with your fingers, like you're aggressively playing
the piano, creating very deep depressions in the dough (reach your
fingers all the way to the bottom of the pan). Drizzle with remaining
1 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil and sprinkle with flaky sea salt. Bake
focaccia until puffed and golden brown all over, 20 to 30 minutes.

Hold off on this last step until you're ready to serve the focaccia:
Melt 4 Tbsp. unsalted butter in a small saucepan over medium heat.
Remove from heat. Peel and grate in 2-4 garlic cloves with a
Microplane (use 2 cloves if you're garlic-shy or up to 4 if you love
it). Return to medium heat and cook, stirring often, until garlic is
just lightly toasted, 30 to 45 seconds. (Or, if you prefer raw garlic
to toasted garlic, you can grate the garlic into the hot butter, off
heat, then brush right away.)

Brush garlic-butter all over focaccia and slice into squares or rectangles.

Do Ahead: Focaccia is best eaten the day it's made, but keeps well in
the freezer. Slice it into pieces, store it in a freezer-safe
container, then reheat it on a baking sheet in a 300F oven.

Review: Great recipe! Came together easily and worked well for
sandwiches for several days.

Review: Just made this for a second time, to rave reviews from my
family. This time I just brushed butter over the top and skipped the
garlic. The couple of pieces leftover from dinner have already been
claimed for breakfast sandwiches. This recipe is easy and fun.

Review: Super easy to follow recipe and absolutely delicious! I
always let it rise in the fridge overnight and it is perfect
everytime! The first time I made it was in a 13x9" baking pan and it
was super fluffy. Since then I've made it in a rimmed cookie sheet to
make it easier for sandwiches and its been a hit. I've made this
recipe a number of times now and it is an absolute favourite!

Review: Very happy - I will be making this again for Pizza.

Review: I made this and took the easy way out (keeping the bread out
at room temp and only letting it rest for the minimum amount of
time), and it still came out SO good. You won't regret making this.
My recommendation is to add more garlic (if you love it, like me) I
added 4 cloves and still wanted more lol!

S(Internet address):
   https://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/easy-no-knead-focaccia
Yield:
   "10 to 12"

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 348 Calories; 13g Fat (34.8%
calories from fat); 7g Protein; 49g Carbohydrate; 2g Dietary Fiber;
12mg Cholesterol; 1068mg Sodium.  Exchanges: 3 Grain(Starch); 0 Lean
Meat; 0 Vegetable; 2 1/2 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates.

NOTES : 2020 - 0712