making pasta dough in ABM

Bill King <kingsb@tcainternet.com>
Wed, 4 Apr 2001 10:12:05 -0500
v101.n019.25
I enjoy reading a bread recipe new's watcher group and recently someone ask
about making pasta in the ABM. Since I have enjoyed using this method I
thought I would post my response to this group also in case anyone  else
would like to try this technique.

  >Has anyone has any success making pasta dough in the bread machine?

I have had great success using my ABM to make pasta! I started with the
instructions in Donna Rathmell German's book "The Pasta Machine Cookbook"
which I definitely recommend. She gives suggestions for many combinations
of flours and flavorful additions.

One of our favorites is the whole wheat version. I grind the wheat flour,
sift to be sure there are not any "chunks" & then "dump" everything into
the bread maker. Let it run for a minute or two to check that the
consistency is right, then let it knead about ten minutes. Stop machine &
wrap the ball of dough in plastic wrap for a few minutes to "mellow". Then
I use an Atlas, crank type pasta roller to make the type of pasta that I
want.The dough handles very well. It is simple, quick & easy! I rarely make
pasta by any other method. My bread machine is an old Betty Crocker one
that doesn't seem to have any problems with the pasta dough.

Basic Whole Wheat Pasta

1 cup whole wheat flour
3/4 t. salt
1 egg, straight from refrigerator
1 t. olive oil (or any vegetable oil)
1 T. water (for my machine) original recipe says 1-2 T. water

The oil can be omitted for a lower fat pasta, also you can use only
egg  whites. Omit the salt if you like. You can use 1/4 c. oat flour, and
3/4 c. all purpose flour for a very tasty pasta also. Almost any
combination works well for me.

Good Luck, I hope it works for you.
Sallie K.