bread wash

"Linda Grande" <LGrande@koin.com>
Tue, 17 Apr 2001 14:56:53 -0500
v101.n022.17
I am kind of new here and apologize if this subject has already been
exhausted:

I would like to pose a question regarding the types of washes used on
loaves prepared for the oven. I've seen all types: egg yolk/water, egg
white/water, oil, vegetable spray (mine from King Arthur is my
particular favorite.) (And somehow my frugal upbringing causes me to
cringe at using an entire egg just to wash a loaf of bread.) I don't
think Ive ever seen a critique as to which is best for which type of
bread. I'd like to hear from others about which they use and why it is
preferred.

PS. I am having the most lovely time reading many of the digests of
the recent past.  What interesting, friendly folk you are!