diabetic breads

mrsu@juno.com (Melissa A. Uttendorfsky)
Mon, 09 Mar 1998 13:09:30 EST
v098.n022.13
For MOMnAaron@aol.com- I found this recipe for raisin bread in some old
recipes from my great-grandmother.
It was in Good Housekeeping magazine in a section titled "you & your
diet", I don't know what year but the
clipping is pretty yellow.

	Round Raisin Loaf

	2 cups buttermilk biscuit mix
	1/3 cup uncooked quick-cooking oats
	1/2 cup seedless raisins
	1 tsp double-acting baking powder
	1/4 tsp salt
	1 egg
	1 1/4 cups skimmed milk or reliquified nonfat dry milk
	nonnutritive sweetner equivalent to 1/2 cup sugar

	At least 1 hour and 30 minutes before serving:

	Preheat oven to 350*. Grease 1 1/2 quart round casserole. In
medium bowl, combine biscuit
	mix, oats, raisins, baking powder and salt. In 2 cup measure or
small bowl, stir remaining
	ingredients; stir into dry ingredients until well combined. Pour
into casserole; bake 45-50
	minutes until loaf pulls away from sides of casserole. Cool 10
minutes on rack; remove
	and finish cooling. Makes 16 servings.

	Exchanges per serving: 1 bread, 1/2 fat.

	I don't know if the exchange information would be right for
todays diabetic diet since things have
	changed since this recipe was published in what I believe to be
somewhere between 1950 and
	1970. I only included the exchange information because it was
part of the recipe, and I thought
	it might be interesting to see how things have changed.

			Melissa
			mrsu@juno.com

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]