Challah Recipe

"LaDonna Edgington" <ladonna@texoma.net>
Mon, 23 Mar 1998 15:04:30 -0600
v098.n026.4
Nancy asked for a recipe for honey bread or challah.  I have made this
recipe for challah in my DAK, and everyone loved it.  You can mix it on
manual and braid it, if you wish.

Challah (from Electric Bread)
2-1/4 tsp yeast
3 cups white bread flour
2 Tbsp sugar
1-1/2 tsp salt
1/4 cup butter (margarine works)
2 eggs
1 egg yolk
3/4 cup water
3/4 tsp poppy seeds  (If you braid the bread, use these seeds to top it
after shaping it.)

Mix as directed by your breadmaker.

This Honey-Egg Bread was adapted by my sister for the bread machine from
a recipe in America's Bread Book

Honey-Egg Bread

2-1/2 tsp yeast
3 cups flour
3 Tbs honey
1 egg
3 Tbs oil
1 tsp salt
1 heaping tsp dough conditioner
3/4 cup warm water with 2 Tbs potato flakes dissolved in it.

Mix on manual.  Remove and bake in oven at 350 degrees about 35-40
minutes.  (I let it finish the cycle in the bread machine, and it was
delicious.)  This dough will make one 3-strand braid, one 9 x 5 loaf or
about 14-15 cinnamon rolls (also yummy!)