this recipe was in the mini page of the sunday washington post a while
ago and i finally tried it one day when i was off:
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/3 cup cornmeal
2 Tbsp. vegetable oil
2 bouillon cubes (i used beef)
1 cup boiling water
1. combine first four ingredients in a large bowl. mix well
2. dissolve bouillon cubes in boiling water
3. add bouillon to flour mixture. mix to make a stiff dough.
4. roll onto a floured surface. cut into shapes with a cookie cutter.
5. bake in a pre-heated 300 degree oven for 30 minutes. let stand
overnight to harden.
i used cat shapes and patton (our shar-pei) loved them! he did sniff
them for a while before figuring out they were treats :-)