proofing boxes

Jill & Joe Proehl <jpxtwo@swbell.net>
Sun, 18 Jan 1998 17:36:17 -0600
v098.n006.8
All -
I just joined this list, and am looking forward to delving into my bread
making skills.  I have a Welbilt machine, which I have basically used
with prepackaged mixes for breakfast breads, and I have used their
recipes.  But until lately, after taking a bread making class at a local
cooking school, I have been afraid of dough!  Now, I have made almost 10
loaves of bread, by hand, and am loving it.  I have two specific
questions, then I will sponge all of your knowledge in the digests here
and hope to learn a lot!  My first question is about a recipe I have for
sprouted wheat bread - I am assuming you all prolly have a wheat bread
recipe similar to this.  I have been trying to sprout these wheat
berries for a week now - nothing sprouted about them.  What would be the
result if I subbed alfalfa sprouts or some other sprouts?  Also, I was
taught to rise the bread in a preheated oven to about 180 deg. with your
pan in a tepid to warm shallow pan of water. Is this what a proofing box
accomplishes?  Someone please explain this - Also, would be interested
in hearing what the best baking surfaces are for everyone.  I bought a
terra cotta 5x9 pan and have been having wonderful rising and crusts
with this pan.  Anyone else have any good suggestions?  Thanks - Jill